I rarely use frozen vegetables, but frozen artichokes make this recipe so easy. These artichokes are filled with fiber which is a winner in my book. Traditionally prepared fresh artichokes are not the healthiest food to eat. This recipe hits the flavors of a traditional artichoke but is gluten free, grain free and prepared with healthy fats.
- (2) 12 oz. bags of frozen artichoke hearts (I use Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1 lemon
- 1-2 TBSP avocado or olive oil or your favorite Italian salad dressing
- ½ tsp Celtic Salt or Himalayan
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional but highly recommended) Try to use an organic and raw cheese if possible. Wegmans has some great options!
- Heat oven to 425 F
- Blanch artichoke hearts per package direction (Don’t skip this step)
- Drain well and add the oil or dressing, salt pepper and lemon zest. Stir well. (I do like to let the artichokes marinate overnight in the refrigerator in a glass dish with a tight cover, but this step is optional)
- Add mixture to a shallow roasting pan/cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Roast at 425 F for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and stir well, continue to roast and stir every 10-15 minutes. You want the mixture to start to caramelize but not to burn
- If desired, Parmesan cheese can be added in during the last 5 minutes of roasting
- Remove from oven, transfer to serving vessel and enjoy!