With summer in full swing, I have been thinking of ways to brighten and lighten up our grilled seafood or chicken, while spending less time stuck in the kitchen. This recipe can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for one week or frozen and thawed before serving.
Light & Bright Orange Basil Finishing Sauce
As always, try to use organic or farm-to-table ingredients!
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice – preferably from mandarin oranges
- 1/2 tsp salt – adjust accordingly to your taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp orange extract (If you don’t have orange oil, zest the oranges before juicing.)
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves – lightly packed
- 3 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 3 tbsp chopped scallions or diced red onion. (The green onion will offer a more mellow sauce. I personally prefer the red onion for the zip it adds.)
- Mix all ingredients except the onions in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Add onions and lightly pulse to incorporate throughout.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze and thaw before use.
- Cover the top of the pesto mixture with a thin layer of oil to prevent the basil from browning.