As a home cooking enthusiast, I am always looking for an ingredient to elevate a recipe to the next level. Pickling vegetables is an easy way to add a delicious depth of flavor to salads, lettuce wraps, or as a condiment with fish, poultry, pork, etc. This is my take on a healthy and quick way to pickle red onions or red cabbage.
Picked Red Onions / Red Cabbage
- 1 cup of red onion or red cabbage, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
Sharon’s Nutrition Advice:
Red cabbage offers additional health benefits for cancer prevention because it belongs to the cruciferous family and is an excellent source of fiber to scrub potential carcinogens off the walls of the intestines!
- Place honey and balsamic vinegar in medium sized sauce pan and heat on low for 5 minutes, until honey is dissolved.
- Add either red onion OR red cabbage to sauce pan and cook on low for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and cover for 25 minutes.
- Once cooled, transfer to storage container and refrigerate.
- Keep fresh for up to 10 days in the refrigerator due to the acidity from the vinegar.